When you purchase high-quality, pasture raised chicken, you don't want to cover its natural flavor with heavy sauces and seasonings. Instead, you want to enhance its flavor with a little light seasoning, and let the true flavor of the tender meat shine through. Here are two simple recipes to make with your specialty chicken.
Rosemary and Garlic Grilled Chicken
The fresh flavors of rosemary and aromatic garlic com together to give this grilled chicken just enough character to liven up your taste buds. The recipe makes enough for 4 people. Plan ahead when making this chicken, as it needs to marinate for 1 hour.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Whisk together the olive oil, salt, garlic, rosemary, lemon juice and mustard.
- Place the chicken breasts in a resealable bag, and add the oil mixture.
- Refrigerate the chicken for 1 hour, turning over once during marination.
- Place the chicken breasts on a medium-hot grill, and grill for 4 minutes. Discard the remaining marinade.
- Turn the breasts over, and cook for an additional 4 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to measure the internal temperature of the chicken. If it has not reached 165 degrees F, continue grilling until it does.
- Remove the chicken from the grill, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Baked Lemon and Thyme Chicken
This chicken recipe, which serves 4, is perfect for a busy weeknight. Serve the extra lemon-thyme sauce over rice or noodles. If you don't like thyme, you can easily substitute rosemary, basil, or even marjoram.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and chicken stock.
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and thyme, and place it in a covered baking dish.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture over the seasoned chicken.
- Cover, and bake for 25 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Uncover the chicken, and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and transfer it to a serving dish. Pour the sauce into a gravy boat to serve on the side.
For the perfect chicken to accompany these recipes, buy a poussin chicken.